Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FLTeenScicafe/
Lead Institution: The Pier Aquarium, Madeira Beach, Florida
A partnership among three aquaria. The Florida Center for Ocean Science Education Excellence (COSEE-FL), the St. Petersburg Ocean Team, and the Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Sarasota counties school districts implements the Teen Café model with a marine science theme.
At Mote Marine Lab, our high school interns present this Florida Teen Science Café. Florida Teen Science Cafés are free, informal events for teens focusing on marine science. Each meeting welcomes a local scientist to share their work with students. Subject matter is geared for 9th–12th grade students. Cafés are often held at the Selby Public Library.
Events Calendar: details of MOTE’s upcoming cafés.
Date first café held: 2013 (St. Petersburg, Tampa, Sarasota sites)
Member contributions to TeenScienceCafe.org:
- Café summary: Through the Lens of a Mote Photographer (03/2018)
- In the News: Education Week: Students Engage With Scientists at Teen Science Cafés
- Café summary: What’s in a Photo? A Closer Look at Wild Manatee Research. Written by Allison N., Mote First Year High School Intern (06/2017)
- Video: made by our High School Interns put together to demonstrate the importance of Teen Science Cafes (3/2017)
- Café summary: Our Changing Ocean: Ocean Acidification and Climate Change (2/2017)
- Webinar: Make Leaders Out of Teenagers (2016)
- Resource: Diagram – MOTE’s Teen Leader Roles and Responsibilities chart (2016)
- Member Spotlight: Gina Santoianni – Helping MOTE Interns Become Leaders (11/2015)
- Café summary: Grief at the Reef (4/2014)
- Café summary: Oh Shell Ya! (4/2014)
- Café summary: The Six Senses of Right Whales (11/2013)
Tampa, Florida 33602 Florida Aquarium