Reply To: Are after-school cafes as highly valued as evening cafes?

Showcase Forums Teen Science Cafe Workshop Discussion 2015 Are after-school cafes as highly valued as evening cafes? Reply To: Are after-school cafes as highly valued as evening cafes?

Lawrence NorrisLawrence Norris
Participant

We have similar considerations in Arlington VA as Riverton IL. Implementing via the schools has been the choice for us for pedagogical and logistical reasons. For almost every student that had an opinion on the subject, the idea of having a cafe event in the evening was a non-starter. Not only were there transportation issues, but especially our “disadvantaged” students had sibling care and jobs that were a big part of the total household income.

I have realized recently that immediately after school is like happy hour is for adults; except instead of alcoholic drinks they’re into sugary snacks, and even that became a big scientific discussion last month. Our HS buildings are relatively new and there is convertible “hanging out” space for the students to just sit around and talk. This is where I’m getting a lot of my cultural intel :)

Wrt to the issue of competing with sports teams and such, we have taken the approach of having TSC events early, right after the final bell, under the premise that the first competitor for the students’ time wins.