First Contacts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    esnowesnow
    Participant

Hi All — I work in outreach at the University of Texas at Austin, and am looking forward to the workshop to learn more about teen cafés. My question is what are the very first steps? Do you reach out first to teachers to find teen leaders, or do you start with a handful of teens you know? Has anyone tried starting with university students and letting them recruit and work with the high school kids? We have a great program on campus called Project MALES (Mentoring to Achieve Latino Educational Success) that has professors mentoring college students who in turn mentor high school students. I had thought about approaching them to locate teen leaders. How did you all do it?

Eleanour Snow

Ann BoesAnn Boes
    Participant

Hi Eleanour,
    I think your idea of reaching out to those folks at Project MALES is a good one. Chances are they would appreciate any additional educational resources that they could recommend to their participants. In our case, we went ahead and organized our first Cafe without having a YLT. We chose something that we thought would be of high interest, Zombies!, and started talking with local teachers about the idea. They got interested and encouraged their students to come. In our case the middle school teachers were the ones who were most interested and we had a large percentage of 13 year olds at our event. Those students really enjoyed the Cafe and are excited about the next one. Some of those teens have now joined the YLT and are working to produce the next few Cafes.

Ann Boes
    TSC at Lab:Revolution
    4hlabrevo.wix.com/4hlabrevo

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.