Recruiting and preparing presenters

Showcase Forums Teen Science Cafe Workshop Discussion 2015 Recruiting and preparing presenters

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael MayhewMichael Mayhew
    Keymaster

The documents provided to presenters in the Teen Cafe Scientifique New Mexico node can be found at http://cafenm.org/documents/Cafe_Presenters_Guidelines.pdf They address the elements of an effective Cafe interaction with teens and frame how they write a 1-page highly accessible essay on their topic and a 1-page very personal, very informal bio that get across to the teens that a scientist is a real, complex, multidimensional human, like them, with his or her own unique set of motivations, delights, abilities, and baggage.

Nicole Gugliucci
    Participant

That’s really helpful!

WoodrowWoodrow
    Participant

Thanks Mike!I’ve been trying to recall the format Rick Tankersly used in his presentation training a while back. I’ve been thinking of providing something more formal for potential presenters. Regarding effective presentation styles, our group has taken a lot for granted in the past. Often, we had to make a game time decision to adapt. Adjusting on the fly works, but I’d rather have a plan. Frankly, I think some of our speakers would enjoy the opportunity to improve their technique. In my own experience, the direct approach is -not- recommended. I found myself back-pedalling quickly! :)

Natanya CivjanNatanya Civjan
    Participant

Along these lines, a few of us are organizing a session for the workshop on preparing presenters. We have a question for you:
    What are your top 3 issues with preparing presenters?

If you could give us some feedback, that would be very helpful!

Michael MayhewMichael Mayhew
    Keymaster

Those interested in this subject may want to look at this publication: https://teensciencecafe.org/wp-content/uploads/Mayhew_Hall_Science-Communication_article.pdf
    It contains a section called “Recruiting and Training Cafe Presenters.”

Michelle HallMichelle Hall
    Keymaster

As time goes by, I see the presentation at a teen cafe being much more like a TED talk – the best ones – which focus on story telling. Great TED talks are that it is focused on answering one interesting question – not two, three or four questions. Just the big ponderous one. Finally, the best TED talks are not crammed with high density information, they convey the story with words that paint clear images in the listener’s mind and stimulate emotions. Finally, TED talks are short but rich, and lead to very interesting questions.
    I am attaching a short document that explores story telling in science as a resource for this session.

Here is the link http://www.cmu.edu/student-org/pcr/media-files/pcr-sessions/pcr-storytelling-techniques.pdf

I will also put it in our Resources section on the website.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Michelle HallMichelle Hall.
    WoodrowWoodrow
    Participant

Both documents are very useful. I recall reading the science communication article a while back, way before we truly grasped the importance of training.

Also, I’m fascinated by the possibility of combining science outreach and good story telling. I realize that TED talks often amount to this, but now I see that it can truly be an art. Art and science… my gears are turning!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.