Teens and Social Media

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Nicole Gugliucci
    Participant

Hello, all! I work a lot with science outreach through social media, but I’ve learned through my first semester at Teen Science Cafe that the teens aren’t on (or as active) the same platforms that I use with adults! Very few are on Twitter, and Facebook really isn’t the “cool” place to be.

So I’m wondering if any other cafes have tried or had success with other social media platforms as ways of getting the word out? Things like Tumblr, Instagram, and SnapChat seem to be more in use by that demographic, as far as I can tell. Plus, what’s popular is always changing, so a social media strategy needs to keep up.

Thanks!

– Nicole

RJ MontanoRJ Montano

That is one of the main conversations we have been having around here too (in NM). Is it worth dedicating time and energy to learning the newest, hottest platform, only to have to adapt and change the next day/week/month? Has anyone had success using social media (of any type) to advertise, engage, market, etc. to teens in their area?

Lawrence NorrisLawrence Norris
    Participant
    Nicole Gugliucci
    Participant

Thanks for the link! Looks like my sense wasn’t too far off.

Dedicating time to social media is a real commitment, and learning the lingo and tone of a platform is important. So I think each site needs to look at whether it’s worth it. I just have an interest from using it so much in my other projects with adults!

– Nicole

Michelle HallMichelle Hall
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing the link Lawrence. In reading it, I come away with the sense that it will be hard to reach an unknown teen audience with tools such as SnapChat and Instagram. It seems that the people using it are mostly wanting to be anonymous, except within a very small community of friends.

I am not using either of them, so I cannot say I understand how they work, but how would a teen cafe leader or our network use these two tools to reach teens interested in how STEM impacts their life? I noted that there were hash tags used in both, so do we use a suite of STEM related hashtags to reach teens?

Does anyone know how that might work?

Participant

Twitter is already a raging stream of STEM content (and just about everything else). There are already many, many, many hashtags. Since the @TeenSciCafeNet handle already exists, I would encourage each site to create a handle @TeenSciCafe[somelocalidentifier], e.g., @TeenSciCafeArVA (up to the 15 character limit).

I would do the same with Instagram, Snapchat and Tublr.

I would use the graphic artistry of this webpage to create common branding for all these channels, perhaps allowing each site to implement some local variances.

To be sure, while the TSCN can/should have its own branded social media, the students will develop their own ‘underground’ social network where they really talk about what’s on their minds. Nothing we can do about that, and actually that’s not bad.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Lawrence NorrisLawrence Norris. Reason: Added more text
    Nicole Gugliucci
    Participant

“Twitter is already a raging stream of STEM content…”
    This statement makes me happy. Also, it’s so true. :-)
    A standardized hashtag across the network would be a good idea, and we can still use Twitter or Facebook. If anything, that shows our activity to users of social media who aren’t teens (educators, parents, potential funders, etc.)
    And I agree, beyond the brand social media, it will be up to the youth leaders to use social media as effectively as possible to recruit other teens! But if there is a local Cafe account for them to follow and retweet (reblog, repost, etc.) that helps us help them share the word.

Participant

One interesting opportunity for teens, science and social media is #scistuchat, a monthly Twitter Chat with scientists and high school students. https://sites.google.com/site/scistuchat/.

They are a lot of fun. A lot of scientists that participate end up following up with different classrooms via all kinds of social media channels, e.g., Google Hangouts.

Would could envision a #tscnchat as a way to connect different sites, or even intra-site discussions.

If we could perfect the chat aspect of Snapchat for this purpose that would be awesome, http://blog.snapchat.com/post/84407744185/putting-the-chat-into-snapchat

Ann BoesAnn Boes
    Participant

Perhaps one way to utilize sites such as Instagram and Snapchat is by incorporating some sort of photo opportunity within the Cafe that the teens would find fun and want to share with their friends. They would be spreading the word themselves.

It seems to me that by the time I am somewhat caught up on how a platform works, my kids have long since abandoned it.

Ann Boes
    TSC@Lab:Revolution
    4hlabrevo.wix.com/4hlabrevo

Ann BoesAnn Boes
    Participant

One thing we are in the process of developing for our site is this glowing twitter beacon:

http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures/sparks-will-fly/things-with-stuff/twitter-emblem

I’m not sure if we’ll have it done in time for the conference, but if we do I’ll bring it.

Ann Boes
    TSC at Lab:Revolution
    4hlabrevo.wix.com/4hlabrevo

Ann BoesAnn Boes
    Participant

An interesting follow up to the article posted earlier in this thread:

https://medium.com/message/an-old-fogeys-analysis-of-a-teenagers-view-on-social-media-5be16981034d

Keymaster

Ann – the twitter glowing beacon sounds cool. I hope you can bring it and show us all!

Keymaster

The post from the researcher on social media was a good reminder that one person’s views of social media use only capture a sector of users. I wish he had done more to point us to his research about what a broader spectrum of users are doing. I did not look too deeply, but did not find any updated report on the Pew internet website.

Keymaster

Thanks for sharing the info on #scistuchat on twitter. I went and looked at the stream from the last chat and it is very interesting. I suppose it must be a fast moving conversation to keep up with. But, it does show another dimension of how we could do virtual cafes and create virtual communities among teen cafe sites and within sites.

Maybe we can get a group of teens and adults to join the chat next month. I found a page that indicated when the next one was to be held, but I lost the link. Do you know the time? The date is Feb 12.

As for your comment about Twitter having lots of science information, that is very true to my experience. But, so far, we have found very few teens in those chats. Maybe I just missed them. Today I came across a teen who wants to be an astronaut but I think that is the first teen I have see that is talking about science on twitter.

Keymaster

Snap Chat is hard for me to understand from the perspective of communicating with a large group of teens. While stories can be seen multiple times in 24 hours, the chats are very short lived. Shorter lived than my memory these days. So, other than cute little ditties that people might share, is there an example of something more substantive happening on SnapChat?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.