Teen Science Café out-of-school programs are a free, fun way for teens to explore the big advances in science and technology affecting their lives. Teens and STEM experts engage in lively conversations and activities to explore a topic deeply.
The TSCN can help you get started now.
What is the Teen Science Café Network?
We are a community of practice providing the highest quality resources and support to organizations who implement a teen science café. Our members are committed to help one another and continually improve the teen science café experiences and their impacts.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
What are your favorite past café topics? titles? activities? formats?
Please add to this list! It will serve as a source of ideas for others.
Remember: There is no ‘one right way’ to run a Teen Science Café. Make it local! Great conversation and interactivity is key to success.
• Solve a case using forensic evidence
• Visit a scientist where they work. Sometimes equipment can’t move, but people can!
• Use zombies as a theme for teaching about neuroscience or infectious disease
• Examine specimens before, during or after a scientist’s presentation
• Bring a live animal to presentations about live animals
• Use a computer challenge to explore cyber-security
• Use a gorilla chasing humans to simulate how to flock like birds
• Have teens help scientists with their research by prepping specimens or experiments
• Use music as a theme for discussing neuroscience
• Build balsa wood bridges to support a conversation about engineering
• Crime scene investigator from local law enforcement explains how real CSI is conducted
• How our water resources are tied to energy generation, climate, and food production
• What’s with the dramatic increase in massive forest fires?
• Promise and peril of genetic engineering
• Promise and peril of nanotechnology
• Enlisting the body’s immune system in the fight against cancer
• The Neanderthal in us all: What does genetics tell us?
• Is there an asteroid impact in our future?
• Booze and babies: The brain and prenatal alcohol consumption
• The inevitable massive coronal mass ejection from the sun: Can we defend ourselves from catastrophe?
• Are we alone? The search for extraterrestrial life
• We are all stardust
• Algae biofuel: Is pond scum the next oil boom?
• The global threat of antibiotic-resistant bacteria
• Super-eruptions: Catastrophes of the past… and to come
• What came before the Big Bang?
• What is time?